Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Remembering my pre - Polio days-


 Remember when pony tails were in style?--- Here I am, with my younger sister --and we both have the pony tail!--And----We do look pretty happy. It looks like we are in a car--maybe going to our cottage at Port Stanley, ON.
This was our cottage--  It doesn't look like much, in to-day's standards ----It was green with pink trim--I think Dad chose those colours as they were probably on sale.  There were a zillion stairs up to the cottage, as you can see-- The window upstairs was one room--with stairs going up to it, outside-- My older sister and I slept up there-- Dad had put a sink in--no bathroom---  We had to go outside, and then into the main level to use the washroom-- The outside stairs were right beside Mom's bedroom so if my sister and I got home late,  and were tip toeing up those stairs, Mom would hear us and speak to us-- 

We lived quite far from that cottage-- London, Burlington--then Ottawa--but---  Dad and Mom would drive there weekends , and in the summer, they chose to live there all summer. Polio was rampid then, and Mom used to say that they bought that cottage to get us out of the city so we would not be exposed to the Polio virus--  In those days, there was no vaccine. Every noon hour, on CBC radio, I remember listening to the news and they would announce the number of children who had died that day-

We had several boyfriends , each summer--Skip the drip--_(called that by Dad)--who walked along the shore of the lake, skipping stones into the lake, past our cottage, hoping I would see him, and meet him---then there was "Horsey Bill", who used to work in the stables--But the best part of  Port Stanley, was,  my older sister and I had free reins of the town--We would ride our bicycles all over the village, of course after we had hung out lines and lines of laundry.

I still look back on those days with happy memories--It wasn't the cottage itself, it was all the fun that went on in and around the place-



The beach was wonderful and Lake Erie was so nice. Here is my younger sister, and behind her, is me--on my left is my brother, and my older sister.--BUT----the very best part of Port Stanley-(looking back now!)_-There were NO black flies--

I hope yu all are enjoying to-day-- We even have sunshine--but --very cold! 

Remember this?---  THE BUG SUIT of the NORTH!

17 comments:

  1. Oh, Lynda, what a beautiful wonderful tour down memory lane, photos included!!! Thank you so much. Have a beautiful sunny day. Get some vitamin D! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Iron Lung used for some who had Polio scared the daylight out of me! I've never forgotten that, Lynda.

    It's so wonderful that you have such great memories of your family cottage, it does sound like you had great summers/weekends there!

    Hugs to you, Fred and the fur babies. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you mention things from your childhood they so often trigger memories from my childhood. Each year my mom and dad would rent a cottage and it was great fun to be by the water for two weeks with nothing to do but enjoy. Thank you so much for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very young in those days, and sheltered. Do not have personal memories of polio... my folks would have turned it off if such numbers were being announced on the radio news. But what a wonderful way to avoid it, eh?

    You'll be wearing that bug suit again before you know it! The sun is out down here, too, but pretty cold, with a low of -1F (that's -18C). Brrrr. Still, sunshine is cheery, so no complaints, as long as I don't have to go out in it much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your memories. I well remember kids in the iron lungs. My nephew was in War Memorial Hospital in London ON that summer after being terribly injured when he was run down by a huge oil tanker. He survived but spent 6 mths. in hospital and I spent a lot of time there with him that summer. Saw lots of kids recovering from polio.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family had a cabin by a lake when I was growing up and I also have such fond memories of staying there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a wonderful place to go and enjoy being carefree. And fun with your siblings! Glad you have those memories. I had friends from school that caught polio, in California, 1950’s, some came back after over a year gone, crippled, limping, etc. so glad to get the vaccine during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Memories Lynda..............glad you were able to get out of the
    city.....my husband got Polio & Encephalitis at the same time..back then he was in an Iron Lung.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cabin certainly had an abundance of steps.
    I grew up during the polio situation. I don't remember how old we were when all 3 of us kids got the polio vaccine.
    I like the names your dad had for the boys...Chip the Drip and Fred the Med.
    You've got lots of photos and great memories to savor.
    Have a great day. Stay warm and safe.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember getting the polio vaccine when I was in elementary school; can't remember what grade for sure, but it would have been between second and fourth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I luckily missed all that (born in 1958). Sounds like a wonderful place to have gone. My fond memories are of vacations in the summer with my mom and my grandmother, who would come to visit. Of carefree summer days riding our bikes down to the junior high to go swimming. No need for helicopter parents back then. My mom worked, I had a babysitter who came during the day. If we weren't at the pool, we were trying to dig to China, riding our bikes and getting the wind knocked out of us, hanging upside down on the jungle gym, or playing board games. Such fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cottage looked like a great place but tons of stairs. It's going to get real cold again tonight and some snow tomorrow night into Friday. At least March starts next week and it'll be getting closer to warmer weather and the bug suit! I got the polio vaccine in elementary school - don't remember the grade. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't remember a bug suit, but I sure do remember pony tails (and braids)! Your sister and you were lovely young ladies!

    It's great that you have memories of a happy childhood. Your kids will have some, too.

    My happy memories are more of my adulthood.

    {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your memories. This is my favorite part of getting to know someone.
    I hope the rest of your evening is good.
    Beth M.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember the days of no vaccine for polio until I was in grade school. We had a neighbor girl, 4yrs. older than I was, get it so she and her family were isolated in their home until cleared. Love the cottage and the lake fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, those memories! You have such good ones.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, you need to enable 3rd Party cookies. That will help fix your Whoops errors. So if you're on Firefox, turn off your Enhanced Tracking Protection. Near Comment, Click where it says Google Account and an arrow, you see the three ways to comment: Select profile... A) use your Google account, so that there is a profile picture next to your comment OR B) use your name line and then put in your User name, whatever name you want people to know you by, the second line for a website is optional OR C) be ANONYMOUS. When you have finished typing your comment, please copy it into your clipboard (your computer memory), in case there is a problem. Then you can paste it in again if necessary. Some comments disappear. Click the Publish button when you are done, you may see a box that says, I am not a robot ----Click there--then click -Publish. Do not check the Notify me button, unless you want contacted by email whenever anyone leaves a comment on this blog. Come back again soon, to see if there are any replies to your comment, and to join again in the discussion. If you do not see the comments, you need to click the title of the blog, to separate that blog from the main page or click Comments at the bottom of the blog, either way. It's okay if you double post, the extra ones will be removed soon if they are exactly the same as one before. Thank you!