Monday, May 2, 2022

Music, it says all the things that words can never say.


 I sat at the piano yesterday and played to my hearts content-- Music is so good for the soul! --I do miss "Tess", the German, as in dog,  who used to come over and lay down right beside my feet, as soon as I played. When you play for the dogs, they don't mind the occasional bad notes. I could play for the cows-- LOLOL---  if the piano was in a barn--No-one has ever asked me to play at Carnegie Hall--  That must tell me something!---  But, I LOVE my piano--

AS a kid, I took piano lessons until I was in gr 6 piano--I hated it and did not practice at all--  And, of course, when it was time for my lesson with the Nuns, I never knew  anything that I was supposed to know. If I ever hit the wrong note, I received a "whack" on my fingers with their long stick-My older sister and brother managed to get their Gr 8 piano , of which Mom was very proud. She always would tell me, if you get your Gr 8 piano it counts  as a Gr 13 subject-

I never touched a piano again-- for many years-  but---after raising 5 children, and educating 5 children, and being gifted from my Dad with a sum of money, Himself and I drove to Sudbury , to purchase my very own piano--- 

When I was a kid, there were "piano stores"---- --when I searched high and low  for a store full of Steinways, I found stores like that do not exist anymore. There were electric pianos, but I had my heart set on playing on a real honest to goodness piano-- Finally, I found a music teacher who was selling a relatively new one---  I bought it---  He brought it to our town and set it up, and I began lessons--AND I PRACTICED everyday---The sisters at the convent would've been proud of me! 

And do I play well?--- NO! --but----  I love  playing-- The dogs enjoy my music-- even the cat seems to--and on a summer evening, with the patio door open, if you were in this area, yu might hear my version of "New York-New York-- or something classical-- which are my favourites. And sometimes the very kind neighbours will say in the morning, when I meet them on the back road--"I heard your piano last night"-- It makes my day--

Lopez listening to the music------ I guess if you have something  you have always wanted to do----  go for it!---  It is never too late! 



19 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I'm sure your piano concert was enjoyed by all and most importantly by you. Two of our daughters took music lessons, one on the accordian and one on the guitar but neither of them continued on with them for very long. Always wished I could have taken piano when I was young but never had $$$. My Mom played the organ, she learned from the church organist when she was young. I still have the big old organ she played. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really never had the $$$$ either Willow--till; Dad left me some $$$$ --Do u play the organ?_- Lynda

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet picture of Lopez, it looks like he is really enjoying your playing. I imagine the sound of your piano on a summer night would be very relaxing and comforting for your neighbours. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for sitting @ your piano. IT IS soothing.

    Your experience w/piano is exactly mine! I had nuns and they used that music wand as a lethal weapon if you hit a bad note (a klinker, as they said) Stopped when I was in 6th grade, too! But then in High School my best friend told me her parents both taught piano. Her Dad was a professional musician. I decided to give it a shot and took lesson all through high school. It was a wonderful experience that time around.

    Awwww, little Lopez looks sooooo comfortable! Hoping he’s feeling better after his little surgery!

    HUGS
    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a piano in our house growing up . . . .one of my Dad's customers gifted it to him. ( he was a carpenter who build houses for wealthy clients) anyway my older sister and brother learned how to play as did my younger sister but I refused because I wanted to be different. . . .wish I haven't been so stubborn as a child.
    Lopez looks comfy. . . . maybe your playing soothed him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never played any instruments. I had a teacher in grade 5 or 6 who, when I tried out for the choir said she guessed I could blend in for the chorus so I never did anything to do with music except listen to the radio! Lopez looks like he enjoys listening to you. Good that you're playing again. It will relax you with things going on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet music soothes the savage soul...we need more music. Keep on playing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is something soul-filling about playing music for yourself! Singing, tooting a horn, or piano. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved playing the piano. Did not play well but I really loved it. Do not have a piano now but I hear you Lynda.

      Delete
    2. Well, did yu ever think of playing again?--- Lynda

      Delete
    3. Hi Barb --It relaxes yu --even if one only plays for the dogs--LOL-Lynda

      Delete
  8. What a nice picture of Lopez, while you play the piano. Those nuns sure helped to ruin a lot of students with their stupid sticks, too bad you could not use the sticks on them! I didn’t know you took more lessons later on, to learn more songs. And yes to buying a real piano. Now, on neighborhood posts, folks have trouble giving pianos away! Who would have thought? I learned to play the French horn at school, cost nothing in those days. Hope your day goes well. Ethel Mertz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ethel--- It sounds like yu might be married to Lucille Ball and Desi ---Remember that show?--- The french horn sounds like a good instrument too-Lynda

      Delete
  9. My Aunt had a beautiful piano she bought new in Kansas City. It was supposed to go to me, unfortunately her husband survived her, and I got nothing of hers............her only child died at 10, and she and I were very close...really hurt. She wanted me to take lessons, because she said my fingers were so long she knew I'd be good..............sigh................
    Play on Lynda....you could record a little song on your phone and post it in your blog or on FB so all of us could hear ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Darlene --That is so sad --but---It isn't too late to get yer own piano-- maybe--- This one I purchased wad $5000 about 10 yrs ago-- and what great idea to record a song--I shall do that!--Lynda

      Delete
  10. Yes, I, too, could not live without music! Classic Country on the pc or the local (modern) country station...This is in the current top 10 that tells you to do it now!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2LixP7n_hM&ab_channel=CodyJohnson

    My Lucky is always well-behaved with music on. When I meditate in the afternoon, I listen to Tim Janis on youtube. Don't know what kind of music they call that...modern environmental classical?

    Let's keep our music going to soothe our pets and our souls! {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bravo!!! Beautiful story about your piano. Keep playing it! That's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have loved to play the piano. What a beautiful story you have about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hearing that you are playing your piano more often. I liked your piano story. Im so glad you have it. How cool it is that the neighbors enjoy your concerts.
    I always wanted to learn to play but there was no money for lessons. I probably wouldn't have practiced lol.
    Enjoy. Sing and PLAY.
    HUGS

    ReplyDelete

First of all, you need to enable 3rd Party cookies. That will help fix your Whoops errors. So if you're on Firefox, turn off your Enhanced Tracking Protection. Near Comment, Click where it says Google Account and an arrow, you see the three ways to comment: Select profile... A) use your Google account, so that there is a profile picture next to your comment OR B) use your name line and then put in your User name, whatever name you want people to know you by, the second line for a website is optional OR C) be ANONYMOUS. When you have finished typing your comment, please copy it into your clipboard (your computer memory), in case there is a problem. Then you can paste it in again if necessary. Some comments disappear. Click the Publish button when you are done, you may see a box that says, I am not a robot ----Click there--then click -Publish. Do not check the Notify me button, unless you want contacted by email whenever anyone leaves a comment on this blog. Come back again soon, to see if there are any replies to your comment, and to join again in the discussion. If you do not see the comments, you need to click the title of the blog, to separate that blog from the main page or click Comments at the bottom of the blog, either way. It's okay if you double post, the extra ones will be removed soon if they are exactly the same as one before. Thank you!