Friday, March 17, 2023

it's all about "The Time" spent with Children


 The Luck of the Irish--green beer---  Leprechauns----This is the day everyone wants to be Irish--  kissing the Blarney stone---I am not Irish-- Scottish ---  coming from the clan of  the "Wallaces"---My Grandfather wearing a kilt and dancing around his kitchen--swinging me as we went around and him singing, "A Heel and a Toe and away we go"---- I absolutely adored him-- I think because he spent time with all of us--I was not very old--not even going to school, and I have such vivid memories of him!
I remember the black car he drove--with a "rumble seat" in the back--I remember the swing  beside his outhouse--- and the chickens he kept in his barn--  and him telling my Mom, not to let any of us 5 kids,  , when getting up to use the bathroom in the night,  to not turn off the light--I guess if we ever turned out that light in his upstairs bathroom, the light in the barn would go out too--and then the chickens would not lay their eggs--and -----of course, we always turned out that light-- I can still hear Grampa shouting at my Mom, "Ila, they did it again!"---and again, there were no eggs for breakfast----

We lived in Windsor, and Dad had driven along highway#2, all the way to Port Perry with all of us kids and Mom---no "McDonalds" in those days-Dad had a green cookstove, and there were places to pull off the highway, with a picnic table, and Dad always cooked wieners and Pork and Beans- It was an all day drive.

This was Grampa's house--- right in Port Perry-- If you look closely yu can see Grampa and Gramma , waving good bye to us, as we drove up his driveway, to begin our long journey home. I took this picture years and years ago--with my little 'Black" camera, as I was sitting in the back seat , with Dad driving-

Often, I remember this picture of Gramma and Grampa, when I have to say good bye to some of our children , driving back to Ohio, or Toronto--with their families--always sad to see them go--

To the left of Grampa's house, was a pasture, and he always kept cows in that pasture--- We were intrigued with that--- the cow patties especially-- and Mom always telling us not to walk in that pasture-but--we did! 


Years later Son#2 took himself and I , back to Port Perry to see Grampa's house--  If you look to the left of the  house, the cow pasture has been replaced with more houses---  no gooseberry bushes along the driveway---but--the house is still lived in--

How did I ever get  talking about all of this?--  I suppose because Grampa was  so unique  to me-- I remember him driving us to the bakery in downtown Port Perry--sitting all of us at a table, and telling us, we could have whatever we wanted to eat--anything at all-- ice cream--chocolate cake-- anything our heart's desired-- but---- (There was a "but")- the deal was , that we were not to tell Gramma--- as he knew she would have dinner ready when we got back--  WE NEVER TOLD GRAMMA--and we all could not eat even a bite of dinner---but--WE NEVER TOLD HER WHY------and many a plate was passed under the table , for Grampa to devour-- We thought he was the best!!!

Can you tell that even a wee bit of time spent with young children, is so important in their lives--?-They never ever will forget you!-- To this day--- some 70 yrs later, trips to Grampa and Grammas place. seemed magical---No TV  , but our cousins appeared sometimes with their parents, (our aunts and uncles)-and we all played "Charades" and we were included in the acting out of whatever, in the living room there-- 

Some of us in the above picture, are still alive-- I am in the white shorts sitting in the front- with our son#4 , a wee little guy, beside me-- Himself with our daughter is behind and on the left--but--so many of the Wallace Clan  have passed on--  Good Memories---  Grampa and Gramma  started  these memories--spending time with us--  I guess it's all about --"THE TIME"


18 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories you have of your grandparents and the time you spent with them. Some things are so special that we could never forget them. I am sure your grandchildren will have unforgettable memories of you and Himself in the lake each summer and many other special get togethers. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow we missed that storm--mostly rain has fallen-- Good for sure! Lynda

      Delete
  2. Wow…what vivid memories…so wonderful! Thanks for sharing!! I remember that my Mom used to wave like that whenever I left… ❤️Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too--when ever my kids left with their families--and I'd think of Grampa and Gramma-- Lynda

      Delete
  3. It's Kathy. I love hearing about those memories. My grandfather on my dad's side was born in Ireland. We didn't see him for many years and then one day he showed up for Christmas. I honestly thought he was a leprechaun - he was very short and had such a twinkle in his eyes! My dad was taller but had the same twinkle! We always celebrated St. Patrick's Day when my dad was alive but it's not the same now! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Kathy--That is funny yu thinking he was a leprechaun---- good memories tho---=He must've been an interesting chap-Lynda

      Delete
  4. Isn’t it wonderful to have such sweet memories! I remember my maternal grandfather (Irish) fondly. He definitely had spunk! And my paternal grandmother (polish/german/bohemian) – spent the most time w/her. ALWAYS got to bake goodies w/her. My most cherished items are an apron of hers, a cook book and a heart shaped pan she always used to make a sunshine cake. Wonderful. And making streudel w/her. She had a huge dining room table. And we’d line it w/waxed paper. Then we’d get busy and roll that dough till it was so thin you could see through it. Then the topping and roll it up. Soooo good.

    Hugs and cherish those memories! Thank you for sharing.

    Barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Barb Yu too have such good memories-- See? She spent time with yu--Lynda

      Delete
  5. I remember those green campstoves (Coleman brand, ours was) and that fast food didn't exist for those early years family vacations... we would pull off at a roadside picnic table and mom would cook our lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES--Barb it was a green Coleman stove --and we used to picnic beside the road--no super duper 4 lane highways-- LOLOL--So fun to remember all that eh?--Lynda

      Delete
  6. Wonderful memories. Your grands will have equally wonderful memories of summers at the lake and you toting food to the dock to feed the clan...and all your shepherd's.
    I hope you are back to two dogs. That was a lot to handle.
    Have a great day. Play your piano.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 Dogs--- It seems so simple now--to have 2 dogs--LOL--The storm did not really come here--more rain than anything-[Lynda

      Delete
  7. Great memories! Thanks for the pictures and stories from others! My family has stupid Covid, quiet a misery. Avoid it like the plague that it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had it lat June--- It is unavoidable --- Poor yu tho-- I sam sorry--Lynda

      Delete
  8. Happy St. Patirck's Day to you! You have such great memories with the family. And now you're making those memories with your grands. Sounds like you're getting hit by a snowstorm by tomorrow. Remember to ask for help with clearing it. Hope you're back to 2 dogs now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WE are back to 2 dogs--so good!-nice and peaceful--LOL-Lynda

      Delete
  9. I posted yesterday! Where are my comments going?! Can't wait for my new pc!

    ReplyDelete

First of all, you need to enable 3rd Party cookies. That will help fix your Whoops errors. So if you're on Firefox, turn off your Enhanced Tracking Protection. Near Comment, Click where it says Google Account and an arrow, you see the three ways to comment: Select profile... A) use your Google account, so that there is a profile picture next to your comment OR B) use your name line and then put in your User name, whatever name you want people to know you by, the second line for a website is optional OR C) be ANONYMOUS. When you have finished typing your comment, please copy it into your clipboard (your computer memory), in case there is a problem. Then you can paste it in again if necessary. Some comments disappear. Click the Publish button when you are done, you may see a box that says, I am not a robot ----Click there--then click -Publish. Do not check the Notify me button, unless you want contacted by email whenever anyone leaves a comment on this blog. Come back again soon, to see if there are any replies to your comment, and to join again in the discussion. If you do not see the comments, you need to click the title of the blog, to separate that blog from the main page or click Comments at the bottom of the blog, either way. It's okay if you double post, the extra ones will be removed soon if they are exactly the same as one before. Thank you!