Saturday, November 13, 2021

Once upon a time-a very Feral Cat came inside---


 This is our deck this morning--- and if this picture was enlarged, you could see "Coon Tracks"---  There must've been a Herd of coons -----We used to feed the birds where the coons  were walking but had to stop as the  Germans (as in dogs)_would chase the coons coming to the feeder--Sometimes I wish that we were still feeding birds--  

That is how I first saw  Sushi-the cat who came in from the cold---She was on the railing, eating peanuts---probably starving , to have to eat peanuts---The next time I saw her--maybe a month later, was when Himself fell and spilled all the bird seed, and Sushi was eating bird seed--  I had to stop and think, "Wait a minute--a cat eating bird seed?" --And --that is how Sushi began her journey into our lives-- She was Feral too--I had never dealt with a Feral cat--well, a kitten really--She was just about 6 mos old--tiny--

I began to put bowls of dog food out (We only had dogs)- She would come to the basement patio, but if I moved to touch her, she ran--She hung around however, looking for food-- meowing when I called her--and then coming to the door only if I stayed away---I called the "animals in distress " place, run by the city, hoping they would take her before it got even colder. Their response was, "Did you feed her?"----"Yes"---I said--""Then she is your cat!" they replied. 

So poor Sushi and I had a dilemma-It was now minus 30C outside----the water I put out for her froze very quickly---  I had a "small animal trap"--but, she had evaded it all the time--Mid December came, and one Sunday afternoon, with steak in the trap from Son#1's restaurant, I heard the trap close---  and there she was-------I carried the trap inside--with the cat in the trap---opened it, in a spare bedroom, and she ran under the bed--and---when I went down later, with a bowl of cat food, this stray cat--kitten really, hissed at me--No way was she going to allow me to pick her up! 

Lord love a Duck!- "How to Train a Feral Cat"----That's the site I went to on the internet----printed it out--and Sushi and I began a long process  of getting to know one another---  A Neighbour Lady helped me move her up to our room, and I put a litter box on Himself's side of our bed   (Bless Himself's heart eh-)---which we slowly inched its way out of our room---- Sushi lived under our bed however for 3 mos---One morning I walked into our bedroom and there she was , on our bed---

How many animals are just dumped along a roadside?- People think they can fend for themselves  in the bush. Most of them get eaten by larger wild animals. It still amazes Himself and I that she had survived the cold and the foxes etc---

I was going to blog about "Retirement"----especially in a Pandemic--- and whatever happened?-- Maybe another day eh?--- Retirement  is  a challenge--- Life is a challenge -----We are doing it day by day--- --surviving--

Now, I must hoof it up the road--hope there are no more stray cats along the way--




23 comments:

  1. It was very kind of you to take in a feral kitten and take the time to make her feel welcome. Your pets are so lucky to have you caring for them. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you for taking in sweet Sushi....I rescued a feral cat once and he was THE BEST fur baby for the 12 years he was with us! ๐Ÿฅฐ Eissa7

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story of Sushi . . .so glad you saved her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when you found Sushi. Five long years and now she has truly joined the family by coming downstairs. Thank you "Mama".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sushi lucked out on finding fine humans to live with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading Sushi's story! She's a fortunate cat to have such loving people to take her. I just don't understand people "dumping" animals ๐Ÿ’”

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved this blog of how Sushi came to live with you. You and himself really put a lot of work into her finally coming into the house. This really makes for a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a very nice story, of how your Sushi came to be at your house. She is lucky! People who dump cats are already too cheap to have theirs fixed, for one thing. When we lived up in the mountains, people would dump kittens, puppies, and domestic rabbits. Rotten folks! Enjoy your Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way your patience and kind heart got Sushie to come indoors and get to know that she could trust you.

    It makes me angry to think of how some people can just abandon their pets, that's so cruel and sure says a lot about them.

    Hugs for you, Fred and your fur babies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had snow on the ground this morning too. I remember when you rescued little Sushi - I'm so glad she is becoming more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the story of Sushi and Lynda! (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I remember the time and patience you invested in getting Sushi inside in those bitter temperatures! She's a lucky girl she was rescued, and I know you feel lucky to have her.

    Retirement . . . it's an adventure @ anytime, but . . . pandemic times make it even more 'special' @ time! LOL

    Hugs
    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  13. ♥️♥️♥️ I remember when you were writing about getting to know Sushi. Deciding her name ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜. She is so lucky to have you. Patience and kindness paid off ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ†๐Ÿ…๐Ÿฑ

    ReplyDelete
  14. LYNDA, funny you should write on this today.....we have a feral, bob tail kitty who is the last of her littler, the rest went to the humane society to be socialized and adopted..........this one was gone for a month and has now shown up again, and of course pushover me is feeding her. We are going to try to catch her after Thanksgiving when my daughter/her husband & dog have gone home, bring her in, socializze her and then vet her. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lynda, I believe exercising period...no matter how many minutes...is good for your health.

    Love Sushi's story, too. Charles Dickens said, "What greater gift than the love of a cat." {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lynda,
    I went back and read a couple months of your blogs. It sounds like you have been keeping busy - as always. I am so glad that Sushi came down stairs. Now she can be a part of the family. Cats are so funny. I loved the pictures that you painted and I think writing to your grandchildren is a gift that they will always treasure. I have cards that my Grandmother sent for birthdays and Christmas and I feel so good just seeing her handwriting. My Mom gave me Dads diary and it makes me feel good when I read it. My mother was not much for writing - but she would always read her Grand kids " The Night before Christmas". I brought her a book where you could record it. She had the book and never recorded it. What a treasure that would have been to the family.
    Well I have been rattling on for too long. My weight has been hovering around 137 I have not been able to lose anything since Sparkpeople ended. I still walk but I don't record what I eat.
    I guess if you don't write it down it doesn't count. (LOL)
    I am taking eye drops also. I hope these work.
    I love your blogs - keep writing.
    Sparkpeople1951 (Bev)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lynda,Love the taming of Sushi story. And now finally, she's coming downstairs. I suppose Sushi is not the typical lap cat.
    Thanks for sharing your family and pets. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sushi is a lucky girl. Found the right place to hang around and eventually become part of the family. Seems she is finally becoming much more comfortable. As long as her and the dogs get along.❤ Hear it's getting really cold there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great story about Sushi.She just needed time to trust you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am glad you were able to capture Sushi. She might not be here if you hadn't. How wonderful she is finally comfortable enough to start venturing to the main floor. She is such a cutie.
    Beth Mosko

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the story about Sushi and how she came to be with you. Some feral cats can never be trained. You have done well with her even with it taking a while.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We too adopted a feral cat and found that it doesn't matter how young they are feral is feral. Tigger was barely three weeks old when her mother deserted her and she was found under a raspberry bush. She jumped to hubby's chest and licked his chin and so she came home with us. She rarely meows or allows anyone but hubby to touch her but she is still our kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember this story from the beginning, with your Spark updates. And now Sushi is comfortable downstairs, too. Your warm and giving heart -- and a lot of patience -- changed her life.

    ReplyDelete

First of all, you need to enable 3rd Party cookies. That will help fix your Whoops errors. So if you're on Firefox, turn off your Enhanced Tracking Protection. Near Comment, Click where it says Google Account and an arrow, you see the three ways to comment: Select profile... A) use your Google account, so that there is a profile picture next to your comment OR B) use your name line and then put in your User name, whatever name you want people to know you by, the second line for a website is optional OR C) be ANONYMOUS. When you have finished typing your comment, please copy it into your clipboard (your computer memory), in case there is a problem. Then you can paste it in again if necessary. Some comments disappear. Click the Publish button when you are done, you may see a box that says, I am not a robot ----Click there--then click -Publish. Do not check the Notify me button, unless you want contacted by email whenever anyone leaves a comment on this blog. Come back again soon, to see if there are any replies to your comment, and to join again in the discussion. If you do not see the comments, you need to click the title of the blog, to separate that blog from the main page or click Comments at the bottom of the blog, either way. It's okay if you double post, the extra ones will be removed soon if they are exactly the same as one before. Thank you!