Monday, September 12, 2022

"I wish you in Halifax-"--an expression I never forgot!

I read the above this morning---It is true isn't it?-We are supposed to have rain to-day--  It looks like it, but--it isn't falling yet. 

Just now, in the kitchen, in front of the dishwasher , was an enormous black spider--a huge thing, with legs that went up, taller than the spider--It seemed like it was 2 inches across-- Himself  took the bug zapper and got him--This is about the 4th one I have seen in the house--and if you aren't quick to get it, it  jumps as it moves to get away from you-Have any of you had these things in your house?------It was close to a register--might've come up the register from the basement---Lord love a Duck!

I came home from downtown yesterday, and sitting in the garbage, all folded up, was the replica of "Queen Elizabeth"---- I picked her up and unfolded her--- and carried her into the house.

"Why is Queen Elizabeth in the garbage?"-I asked Himself. "Well," he replied, "She has passed , so I thought you didn't want her anymore."

"No", I told him. "She is even more valuable now, as she has passed--gone."----  and then, I heard myself going on and on----- "Why would you throw her out?--She wasn't yours-She is mine."----and it seemed like I could never stop telling Himself  to not throw out anything before asking----as I tried to tape her together again-- The ranting and raving went on and on-- ---I was close to tears----

Anyway, my life-size  Queen will stand up--with a roll of tape holding her together on the back of the card board---  I could hear my own Mom yelling at me, when I was a kid and I had gone into her Cedar chest and made cutouts with all her knitting books---  in my mind , it all came back- 

"I wish you in Halifax" I remember her telling me-- I knew she was devastated -I was about 7 yrs old I think--I never forgot that --- Of course I stopped yelling at Himself-What was the point eh?-- Later on, I was telling Son#2, the Pilot son, over the phone , even telling him about Mom wishing me in Halifax-

"But why did she wish yu in Halifax?" was all he could say--Strange how things one hears as a child, haunts you in later years eh------"I dunno", I replied--but, obviously  even tho I never knew where Halifax was, I never forgot that episode with Mom who lost all her patterns for her knitting, and how sorry I felt for her after my dastardly deed which made perfect sense to me.

I suppose , to Himself, it  made perfect sense to get rid of my cardboard Queen--but-----I am learning that when I go out--leave the house with Himself in it, life is not the same anymore- And you know what?--  to-day I know where Halifax is--- --I never ever "wished my own children  there tho!"



 

10 comments:

  1. Your Mom's comment gave me a chuckle. Why and where is Halifax? It's rather funny but certainly good to wish when we want to make a person disappear lol. Glad you could recover the cardboard Queen. So sorry about that. Hugs. Try to have a pretty Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halifax is in Nova Scotia, a province of Canada--out east--Lynda

      Delete
    2. I can only relate to the ranting because I know I did that Friday to my husband who is very upset at not being able to drive now. He demanded his van back and then proceeded to let me know I will be sorry and I won’t like what he is going to do.
      I’ll admit to being frightened in the moment.
      Luckily our son and daughter are intervening with bank and lawyer and doctor to find options.
      P.S. Today, after two days of putting me through “Halifax” he seems perfectly normal.
      (My mom used halifax as a polite way of saying “hell”. 😵‍💫
      MawMaw from Spark

      Delete
    3. OH my goodness! Glad you could rescue your Queen. **SIGH** Just never know what’s going to go through Himself’s mind!

      HUGS and hope today’s a better day. Had rain, rain, rain yesterday and it has FINALLY stopped today – got about 4 in. Some areas got 5. PHEW

      Hugs
      Barb
      1crazydog

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry Lynda....my mother said a lot of things I won't print here, but the worst was when she chased me thru out the house with a butcher knife and I was 16 then.....good thing I was fast. Himself probably thought it reasonable to get rid of her, but perhaps you going off on him made him back off a bit....I am sorry you and MawMaw are going thru this..........
    Davids' health problems are physical, not mental...altho I have to have some stern talks with him occasionally...
    Sending love n hugs and glad HRM was repairable....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boy, gotta watch your back from now on, Lynda. I even thought to myself, about where you would place your Queen, now that she passed away, so no one would mess with her….like a closet or something. Better be safer now. Common sense is gone, due to the disease, sorry to say. What a shame, and no meds to help. You are one strong gal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww poor Queen cutout. Glad its sort of fixed. To Fred it made sense since she passed. I'm guilty of rants...more frequently than I care to admit. Its very frustrating with a man who can't hear, nor see well nor comprehend...but losing my cool doesn't help anything. I understand your frustration.
    I think the reference to Halifax is a polite reference to hell.
    Don't like the description of those big spiders. Yikes. Hoping some kind of bug spray will handle that problem. Always something
    Have a pleasant day. Lovely fall like day in St.Louis
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't help wondering if your child ears heard her right? I just read Margene's comment and I think she's on the right track... a minced oath, that I'm sure was in the heat of the moment and not intended. Ewww for those huge spiders. They probably aren't doing anything harmful except scaring us... but they don't belong in the house!

    Hope you and the cardboard queen are doing OK by now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry about your cut out of the queen. I'm sure himself thought he was helping you but you're right, it was yours! I'm glad you were able to put her back together! One day at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Halifax was probably a euphemism for another hotter place.
    I don't blame you for wanting your Queen. I have a photo of myself with Hilary Clinton taken several years ago on my FB page.
    "Speaking" of FB...did you send me a friend request? If not, you're being hacked.
    {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete

First of all, you need to enable 3rd Party cookies. That will help fix your Whoops errors. So if you're on Firefox, turn off your Enhanced Tracking Protection. Near Comment, Click where it says Google Account and an arrow, you see the three ways to comment: Select profile... A) use your Google account, so that there is a profile picture next to your comment OR B) use your name line and then put in your User name, whatever name you want people to know you by, the second line for a website is optional OR C) be ANONYMOUS. When you have finished typing your comment, please copy it into your clipboard (your computer memory), in case there is a problem. Then you can paste it in again if necessary. Some comments disappear. Click the Publish button when you are done, you may see a box that says, I am not a robot ----Click there--then click -Publish. Do not check the Notify me button, unless you want contacted by email whenever anyone leaves a comment on this blog. Come back again soon, to see if there are any replies to your comment, and to join again in the discussion. If you do not see the comments, you need to click the title of the blog, to separate that blog from the main page or click Comments at the bottom of the blog, either way. It's okay if you double post, the extra ones will be removed soon if they are exactly the same as one before. Thank you!