Thursday, September 1, 2022

Talk to those Grandchildren-- Make them remember "YOU"

It's September 1---Where did the summer go--  It's coolish also! --  I had to put away the light jean jacket this AM--take out a fall, warmer jacket ---I feel frosty mornings are around the bend!--
I found this picture buried in the computer here- my Gramma on the far left--her daughter, Enid, in the middle and my Mom on the rt--probably taken at Gramma's house, along the driveway, in Port Perry-Gramma always wore dresses--In fact, I guess they all did. I don't believe "jeans" were even in existence then! 

I wish I had known my Gramma better--I was too young to care much about her. I do remember her carrying huge bowls of food for supper, from the kitchen, down a hall, to the dining room, when we would land at Grampa and Gramma's house-after a long drive, from Windsor, Ontario along a 2 lane highway.---5 children and Mom and Dad.

In the above picture , she must've been about the age I am now. To have a family of 7 arrive for the weekend must've been hard for her! When we would arrive , usually Aunt Enid, Dad's sister, and Aunt Olive, another sister, were there to help her--(Who names their children "Enid" and "Olive" to-day?

I remember, Gramma always had cookies, cooling, on the window sill outside of the pantry.-We were told not to touch them, but we always did. Once  Mom and Dad allowed my older sister , Mary Beth, and I, to walk to the swimming pool, down the hill in Port Perry- We were told by Gramma to be back , up the hill, to their house, by 5pm.---  Of course we  forgot about the time and swam to our hearts content. When we finally decided to get back , walking up that hill, we saw Gramma coming down, with a yard stick in her hand--(In fact, I have that yard stick now--the same one!)-

I don't remember Gramma using that yard stick--nor do I remember what she said, but I knew that we were very bad to not have done as we were told.

Too bad I never really ever talked to Gramma--I think I would've loved her--I think, to-day.  I am a lot like her--Dad used to tell me that. --But, Mom also said I was a lot like her Mom--  LOL---

----------my Mom, "ILA" in front--(the little girl)- with her Mother on the far rt------

So, I suppose the moral of all this, is to grab the Grandkids-- TALK to them--tell them stories about growing up ---ask them stuff-- get in their way---make them remember "YOU"----so, one day they can blog aboutcha!

This was Gramma, graduating from "Normal School" --which was really Teacher's college- way back when!



 

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful memories! I will try to do better. I love listening to my grandsons’ stories and I need to do better telling them mine! Great idea.
    I gave my parents a memory book. They started it and never finished it. I need to get that out and share what they wrote. Great conversation starter!
    Have a great day! ❤️
    Jacquie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was lucky enough to live very close to my grandparents all my growing up years and they both lived to a very old age. So even my children can remember them. My grandmother was kind of a crazy old lady - she only drank hot water which I always thought was odd. But she also taught me how to know which has been invaluable to me all these years later! Love the photos you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing those wonderful memories and pictures with us.

    I know my mother always wore a dress which meant most of the time I was in a dress!!! I don't think I got my first pair of jeans until I was in my late teens. Ladies wore dresses, hats, and gloves!!!

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely pictures and memories!

    Hugs and have a thankful Thursday.

    barb
    1crazydog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such nice old memories and lovely pictures, Lynda. Yes, talk about them now, show them old pictures! Such a shame to go into antique stores and see old family pictures, nobody knows who they were. Glad you can wear a warm coat. We have AC still on, damp and stinky air outside, north Texas. Ethel

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have old photos of my mom and grandma, daddy, too. They are to be cherished. I have a photo of my mom when she was 5 with a cute, smocked and pleated dress. She is sitting with hands in lap, a cute smile and Shirley Temple curls.
    Those old fashioned names! My grandma and her sisters were Ada, Ida and Alva. My grandpa Lloyd, and my father Floyd.
    Grandma (Ada) was a cook (nowadays she would qualify as "chef") in restaurants in Lansing...the capitol of Michigan. She was a great cook! Taught my mom what she knew, mom expanded on it and taught me. Rarely cook anymore, though. 76 y/o in a senior subsidized apt with just my kitty.
    Oh, well. Such is life.
    You and yours have a great weekend. It's a long one (Labor Day) here in the US. Marks the end of summer. {{{HUGS}}}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool memories! I didn't know my dad or his side of the family, but my mom told me they were long gone, but I was VERY close to her mom! My mom was raising me alone, and so my grandmother came to visit pretty often (about a 45 min drive), and I always was much closer to her than to my own mom. Grandmother was very warm and loving and often bought me things, things I wanted. My mom worked and was very busy, and wasn't a warm, motherly sort. At least, not the warm motherly sort I gravitated towards. I would crawl into my grandmother's bed and we would talk and whisper for a long time, and my mom was always tired and seemed to not like me to be in bed with her. She didn't like her face touched or her hair messed with, or any of that, and I loved to do those sorts of things. I lost my grandmother when I was 12, she had a stroke, it changed her and made her mean, and that was the end of the grandmother I knew. She didn't live much longer after that. Considering that I had a rough childhood, due to being badly bullied, I thank God for my grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the memories and the photos. I feel very blessed to have known all four grandparents, plus two greats, and even more so that three of those grands and both greats survived into my adulthood! Stories were not just shared, they were made... over Chinese checkers, cribbage, and dominoes (no TV), as well as Summer visits. Since I'm nearing 70 and have no grandchildren, I'm thinking if I never do, or even if some magically appeared tomorrow, I won't last long enough to build memories for them.

    Hanging in, taking care of our health, gives us chances for that maybe to happen!

    ReplyDelete

First of all, you need to enable 3rd Party cookies. That will help fix your Whoops errors. So if you're on Firefox, turn off your Enhanced Tracking Protection. Near Comment, Click where it says Google Account and an arrow, you see the three ways to comment: Select profile... A) use your Google account, so that there is a profile picture next to your comment OR B) use your name line and then put in your User name, whatever name you want people to know you by, the second line for a website is optional OR C) be ANONYMOUS. When you have finished typing your comment, please copy it into your clipboard (your computer memory), in case there is a problem. Then you can paste it in again if necessary. Some comments disappear. Click the Publish button when you are done, you may see a box that says, I am not a robot ----Click there--then click -Publish. Do not check the Notify me button, unless you want contacted by email whenever anyone leaves a comment on this blog. Come back again soon, to see if there are any replies to your comment, and to join again in the discussion. If you do not see the comments, you need to click the title of the blog, to separate that blog from the main page or click Comments at the bottom of the blog, either way. It's okay if you double post, the extra ones will be removed soon if they are exactly the same as one before. Thank you!